Before calling your Freight Broker/ Logistics Company, best to have your goods packaged and ready to go.
This is also really helpful in getting you the best & most accurate rate based upon- your freight’s – number of pallets, weight for each pallet and dimensions (length x width x height) per pallet.
- Identify fragile/breakable items. Before packing your items into boxes, determine whether the items are fragile/breakable.
- Use pallets when shipping multiple boxes. (this could also save your company or agency money).
- Wrap your pallet with shrink-wrap.
- It depends what you are packing but the ideal pallet is always the same to a carrier: a square strong crate (for example)- 45″ to 50″ high on which they can stack another pallet and weighing no more than 1200 lbs.
- In the real world, we are not economically able to crate every shipment and most freight does not perfectly fill out a 42″ x 48″ x 48″ space. So we adjust – but your goal should be to minimize the dimensions of your freight while the packages or piece inside of the skid are configured in the strongest configuration possible to withstand weight on top and/or pressure hits from the side – such as other freight bumping it or a forklift hitting it from the side.
- Further – before getting your LTL Freight quotes- you should use binding – plastic or steel, to tie down/secure your freight to the skid in addition to a plethora of shrink wrap. Both shield your freight from a “pressure event” such as a minor hit by a forklift and keep your freight on its pallet as freight moves around with natural bumps on the road inside the truck – shrink wrap over the top and totally cover the freight with shrink wrap to keep humidity out and rain out from a leaky truck or unprotected loading dock.
- If you ship fragile goods, you should make sure your packaging conforms to rigorous packaging set by the LTL common carrier industry’s ship your goods safely and help to hopefully eliminate carrier rejections of your claims due to “Insufficiently rigorous packaging.”
For More Information, please call your- Shipping Emporium Freight Consultant. We’re your Reliable Freight Shipping Service! Call us today at – 703 304 8170 OR 434 990 4144.